Monday, September 14, 2009
self concept
I completely agree with the self concept statement. I know I always took to heart what people told me when I was little. I was lucky enough to have gotten involved with the right crowd when I was little and when they told me things they were to better myself. My parents also played a big part in becoming who I am today. I always remember my mom telling me if you want to be a garbag lady when you get older and that makes you happy then we will support and love you no matter what. All they wanted for me and my sister was to be happy with whatever we did or do in our lives. They support me with every decision I make and are there to help me through whatever it is when I don't make the best decision for myself. I do remember when I was younger my grandma was very old fasioned and believed girls played a certain role and boys played their particular role. For a long time I thought it was wrong to wear sport shirts and play outside. I soon came to realize with the support of my parents and seeing my friends do different things that it was ok to go against the "gender norm." It is crazy to think that when I was little that I cared so much about what my friends thought, I wouldn't wear certain things or do certain things just because I was scared of what someone would say to me. I still see this today with my younger cousins, I would love to tell them to just be your own person. Then I think that is how I became my own person and how I learned to be my own person in society. I feel like in a way it was the beginning of thinking for myself even though it was through someone else telling me what was ok and not ok, but ultimately I decided who I listened to and what I truly liked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It sounds like you're happy with those decisions, and they have made you who you are today.
ReplyDelete